These Tri-Tip Tacos feature tender paper-thin slices of Tri-Tip snuggled into warm corn tortillas topped with bright Peach Pico de Gallo, radish, jalapeño, fresh cilantro, and a dollop of sour cream. While this recipe is perfect for peach season, you can sub thawed frozen peaches if an out-of-season craving hits. And feel free to experiment with other varieties of fruit as well.
For the Tri-Tip
- 1 tbsp fresh ground pepper
- 1 tbsp chili lime seasoning (I used Tajín)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 lbs Ontario Beef tri-tip, excess fat trimmed
Peach Pico de Gallo
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 small Roma tomatoes, cut into wedges and deseeded
- 1 peach, cut into wedges
- ½ white onion, cut into wedges
- 1–2 jalapeñoes, quartered
- ¼ cup cilantro, tightly packed
For the Tacos
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 radishes, sliced thin
- 1 jalapeño, sliced thin
- ½ cup sour cream
- Fresh cilantro
- Place the salt, pepper, and Tajín in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Place a cooling rack inside a baking sheet and place the tri-tip on top. Rub the spice mixture all over the tri-tip, taking care to rub it into all the nooks and crannies. Transfer to the fridge and let dry brine for a minimum of three hours or overnight.
- Take the tri-tip out of the fridge 30 minutes before grilling. Heat the grill to 275°F. Organize the coals to one side of the BBQ.
- Place the tri-tip over indirect heat and cook until it registered 115° F on an internal thermometer. This should take about 20-30 minutes.
- Place the tri-tip over the coals and sear on both sides until it registers an internal temperature of 130°F. Take the tri-tip off of the grill and tent with foil. Let rest for 20 minutes before slicing thinly against the grain.
For the Pico de Gallo
- Place the garlic, salt, cumin, and lime juice in a food processor. Blitz until a paste forms.
- Add the tomato, onion, peach, jalapeño, and cilantro. Pulse until the desired chunkiness is achieved.
- Transfer the salsa to a bowl and chill for at least 30 minutes for the flavors to marry. Drain any excess juices that form just prior to serving.
For the Tacos
- Heat the tacos in a dry skillet until warm and foldable. Place them in a covered tortilla warmer.
- Place slices of tri-tip in the tortillas and top with the Peach Pico de Gallo, a dollop of sour cream, jalapeño and radish slices, and a sprig or two of fresh cilantro. Serve immediately with additional pico de gallo on the side.
By Susan Keefe